|DanceDanceRevolution arcade releases|
|1st - 2nd (CLUB VER.1 / CLUB VER.2)|
3rd (VER.KOREA / Ver.KOREA2 / PLUS)
4th (PLUS) - 5th - MAX - MAX2 - EXTREME
SuperNOVA - SuperNOVA2 - X - X2 - X3 VS 2ndMIX
2013 - 2014 - A - A20 (PLUS) - A3
|Solo BASS - Solo 2000|
Karaoke - Karaoke 2nd - KIDS - USA
TRUE KiSS DESTiNATiON - DREAMS COME TRUE
|Dancing Stage European exclusive releases|
|1st / 1.5 - EuroMIX - EuroMIX2 - Fusion|
- Release Date: October 30th, 1999.
- Soundtrack release dates: December 8th, 1999
- Slogan: ひと晩じゃ、踊りつくせないっ！ (Hitoban ja, odori tsukusenai!, I can't dance all night long!)
General Information / Changes
- First DanceDanceRevolution game to use KONAMI's System 573 Digital hardware.
- A new opening video was added to 3rdMIX.
- First DanceDanceRevolution game to have the BEMANI logo displayed after the KONAMI logo.
- First DanceDanceRevolution game to have the announcer saying the game title on the title screen.
- First DanceDanceRevolution game to show a Caution Screen (about danger of violent/extreme playing motion) when starting a game.
- The interface received new graphics and new text placement.
- The currently selected CD artwork is now shown from the front, and is angled as flat.
- During the last five seconds of the timer, the song CD begins to shake. When the song is selected, the CD briefly fades.
- The LIFE GAUGE now features 17 bars in pill shapes instead of 42.
- First DanceDanceRevolution game to include a character select screen. Prior to 3rdMIX, the characters were set by default with two alternative duos using input codes.
- Eight new characters were added, grouped into pairs for Player 1 and 2 respectively. Every character from the past two arcade versions are also included, except for KONSENTO:02 and OSHARE-ZUKIN:02.
- First and only DanceDanceRevolution game to feature SOFT mode. This mode removes tougher notes from part of each chart similar to LITTLE (later known as CUT on ON1). Only one song to be played.
- First DanceDanceRevolution game to introduce NONSTOP mode, which features courses containing four selected songs each.
- UNISON mode introduced, in which both players share one playfield and must hit arrows corresponding to their color: red for 1P, blue for 2P, and yellow for both players. If one player does not hit one of their exclusive arrows, the other player can "save" them by hitting it.
- It replaces COUPLE PLAY, though COUPLE is still available in 2ndMIX mode.
- DanceDanceRevolution 3rdMIX has three different game modes:
- DanceDanceRevolution 3rdMIX itself. The available play modes are SOFT, MEDIUM and NONSTOP. Only BASIC and ANOTHER difficulties are available. MEDIUM includes only the new songs from 3rdMIX.
- DanceDanceRevolution 2ndMIX, which features songs from DanceDanceRevolution and DanceDanceRevolution 2ndMIX with 3rdMIX's interface, including the character selection. All difficulties are available using either the EASY (three songs) or HARD (four songs) mode.
- Its interface uses several shades of green instead of blue.
- STEP STEP REVOLUTION, which is identical to 3rdMIX but only features SSR (formerly known as MANIAC) difficulty. FLAT arrow color is enabled by default; VIVID must be enabled with a code. The play mode for this game is named TOUGH.
- MANIAC difficulty retains its old name in 2ndMIX mode.
- The announcer on the CAUTION screen will say "There are no easy choices in this mode" instead of "Give it your best shot".
- The door transition and its interface also use several shades of red.
- Songs are no longer restricted by STAGE like they were in 2ndMIX.
- Songs are listed in order on MEDIUM by their BASIC difficulties.
- First mainline DanceDanceRevolution game to introduce charts with a difficulty level of 9 (on the classic 1-10 scale). The level 9 rating first appeared in DanceDanceRevolution 2ndMIX CLUB VERSiON 2. Prior to that, 8 was the highest level found in the game.
- First DanceDanceRevolution game to have Double MANIAC charts.
- Only new songs have Double MANIAC charts. 4thMIX was the first game to add Double MANIAC charts for pre-3rdMIX songs.
- First DanceDanceRevolution game to introduce official KONAMI Edit Data charts, for both 3rdMIX/SSR and 2ndMIX modes. Only a few songs have them, though.
- These charts are available on every arcade DanceDanceRevolution game up to 5thMIX. They did not return after that.
- The 2ndMIX STEP BATTLE charts were removed, but the three STEP BATTLE songs are back with normal charts.
- No songs from CLUB VERSiON 1/2 were carried over to 3rdMIX; instead four remixes by AMD were added.
- First DanceDanceRevolution game to remove songs.
- DanceDanceRevolution 3rdMIX has four different versions. All of them can be easily differentiated by the default song:
- The Japanese version. The default song is XANADU.
- DanceDanceRevolution 3rdMIX VER.KOREA, which lacks Stomp to my beat, LOVE, TUBTHUMPING, GET UP (BEFORE THE NIGHT IS OVER), GET UP AND DANCE, IF YOU CAN SAY GOODBYE, and XANADU, but includes seven Korean songs. The default song is BA KKWO.
- DanceDanceRevolution 3rdMIX Ver.KOREA2, which adds nine more Korean songs. The default song is SHOCK.
- A version of DanceDanceRevolution 3rdMIX intended for the rest of the Asian market, lacking both the songs that were cut from the Korean versions as well as any Korean songs. The default song is UPSIDE DOWN.
- First mainline DanceDanceRevolution game with the VIVID arrow skin. It is enabled by default, except in SSR mode, where it requires a code to be activated.
- Only DanceDanceRevolution arcade game along with its PLUS version to display the song credits (only for 3rdMIX songs with vocals and lyrics) in-game, under the "READY" message before a song starts.
- First main DanceDanceRevolution arcade game to feature karaoke lyrics on-screen, and the only main arcade title to do so (aside from DanceDanceRevolution A for the tutorial song Lesson by DJ).
- Also the only DanceDanceRevolution title until DanceDanceRevolution UNIVERSE3 to have lyrics for KONAMI originals.
- AMD's beatmania remixes, STEP BATTLE songs, and songs prior to DanceDanceRevolution 3rdMIX with vocals don't display them.
- First DanceDanceRevolution game to change the scoring formula. From this version on, almost every version had a different scoring formula until DanceDanceRevolution SuperNOVA2.
- Only DanceDanceRevolution game wherein a player using play style SINGLE can be switched at any stage to UNISON.
- ROULETTE selection was removed. It later returned in DDRMAX.
- Last DanceDanceRevolution game to have doors for gameplay transitions upon choosing a song until DanceDanceRevolution SuperNOVA.
- Total Songs: 72 (Japan), 65 (Asia)
Full Song List
Songs are listed in order on the songwheel on MEDIUM.
|Song||Artist||SP Difficulty||DP Difficulty|
|GET UP AND DANCE||FREEDOM||2||4||7||1||4||6|
|Silent Hill||THOMAS HOWARD||2||6||7||4||5||7|
|UPSIDE DOWN||COO COO||3||5||7||3||5||6|
|IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE (Extended Remix)||TAVARES||3||5||6||3||5||6|
|SO MANY MEN||ME & MY||3||5||6||3||4||7|
|20,NOVEMBER (D.D.R. VERSION)
from DanceDanceRevolution 2ndMIX
|N.M.R feat. DJ nagureo||3||5||7||3||5||7|
|LET THEM MOVE
from DanceDanceRevolution 2ndMIX
|DO IT ALL NIGHT||E-ROTIC||3||5||8||3||6||8|
|THE RACE||CAPTAIN JACK||3||5||7||4||5||7|
|OPERATOR (Two Gees Mix)||PAPAYA||3||5||7||4||5||8|
|HOLIDAY||WHO'S THAT GIRL!||4||5||6||4||5||7|
|OH NICK PLEASE NOT SO QUICK||E-ROTIC||4||5||7||4||5||7|
|KEEP ON MOVIN'
from DanceDanceRevolution 2ndMIX
|IF YOU CAN SAY GOODBYE||KATE PROJECT||4||5||6||4||5||7|
|WONDERLAND (UKS MIX)||X-TREME||4||6||7||5||6||7|
|GET UP (BEFORE THE NIGHT IS OVER)||TECHNOTRONIC feat.YA KID K||4||6||7||4||5||7|
|butterfly (UPSWING MIX)||SMiLE.dk||4||6||8||5||7||8|
|IN THE NAVY '99 (XXL Disaster Remix)||CAPTAIN JACK||4||6||8||4||5||8|
|FOLLOW THE SUN (90 IN THE SHADE MIX)||TRIPLE J||4||6||7||5||6||8|
|ROCK BEAT||LOUD FORCE||4||7||8||5||6||7|
|CAPTAIN JACK (GRANDALE REMIX)||CAPTAIN JACK||4||7||9||5||7||9|
|END OF THE CENTURY||NO.9||4||7||8||5||6||9|
|FLASHDANCE (WHAT A FEELING)||MAGIKA||4||7||8||5||6||7|
|TURN ME ON (HEAVENLY MIX)||E-ROTIC||4||6||7||5||7||9|
|BOOM BOOM DOLLAR (K.O.G G3 MIX)||King Kong & D.Jungle Girls||5||7||8||5||6||9|
To unlock one of these hidden remixes, you must play as a specific character to make the song appear in SELECT MUSIC:
- gentle stress (AMD SEXUAL MIX): BOLDO & TRACY or AFRO & LADY.
- Jam Jam Reggae (AMD SWING MIX): KONSENTO:03 & DEVIL-ZUKIN or KONSENTO:01 & OSHARE-ZUKIN
- GRADIUSIC CYBER (AMD G5 MIX): ASTRO & CHARMY or DISK:A & DISK:B.
- LUV TO ME (AMD MIX): RAGE & EMI or DREAD-SNAKE & JANET
|Song||Artist||SP Difficulty||DP Difficulty|
|gentle stress (AMD SEXUAL MIX)||MR.DOG feat. DJ SWAN||5||7||8||5||7||9|
|GRADIUSIC CYBER (AMD G5 MIX)||BIG-O feat. TAKA||5||7||9||5||8||9|
|Jam Jam Reggae (AMD SWING MIX)||RICE.C feat. jam master '73||2||7||8||3||5||8|
|LUV TO ME (AMD MIX)||DJ KAZU feat. tiger YAMATO||4||7||8||5||6||8|
Only songs with a ※ are available when playing with one credit and when the player selects either VERSUS, UNISON, or DOUBLE.
The difficulty listed only applies when in 3rdMIX Mode. In STEP STEP REVOLUTION, all songs will be set to SSR/MANIAC difficulty. Not included in the table are the courses CAPRICE and ROULETTE, which both have the first and second song on BASIC and the last two are set as ANOTHER. CAPRICE songs are selected randomly by the game, but the player will be able to see the selection before starting while ROULETTE songs will be kept hidden from the player until they have to play them or songs will be picked at random during the game. Another course can be created when loading a MEMORY CARD to the cabinet; the order of the songs are selected by the memory card.
|CLASSICS (Japanese Version)|
|1.||IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE (Extended Remix) ※||BASIC|
|2.||GET UP (BEFORE THE NIGHT IS OVER)||BASIC|
|4.||BOOM BOOM DOLLAR (K.O.G G3 MIX) ※||BASIC|
|CLASSICS (Asian Version)|
|2.||IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE (Extended Remix) ※||BASIC|
|3.||I believe in miracles [The Lisa Marie Experience Radio Edit]||BASIC|
|4.||BOOM BOOM DOLLAR (K.O.G G3 MIX) ※||BASIC|
|2.||MR. WONDERFUL ※||ANOTHER|
|4.||butterfly (UPSWING MIX) ※||ANOTHER|
|2.||END OF THE CENTURY||BASIC|
|3.||IN THE NAVY '99 (XXL Disaster Remix) ※||ANOTHER|
|4.||CAPTAIN JACK (GRANDALE REMIX) ※||ANOTHER|
|RANKING 1: FAVORITE SONGS|
|2.||SO MANY MEN||BASIC|
|4.||DAM DARIRAM ※||BASIC|
|RANKING 2: KONAMI ORIGINALS|
|2.||KEEP ON MOVIN'||ANOTHER|
|3.||La Señorita ※||ANOTHER|
|4.||PARANOiA Rebirth ※||ANOTHER|
|RANKING 3: SPECIAL|
|2.||BOOM BOOM DOLLAR (K.O.G G3 MIX) ※||ANOTHER|
Codes & Unlock Information
- For the codes, the Left and Right buttons refer to either P1 or P2 yellow selection buttons found on the cabinet. The Start button is the green button, also on the cabinet. The foot panels is the dance platform with the four arrows.
- Game modes
- 3rdMIX: after payment and before pressing the Start button, press Left Right Left and then Start.
- STEP STEP REVOLUTION: after payment and before pressing the Start button, press Left Left Left Right Right Right Left Right and then Start.
- 2ndMIX: after payment and before pressing the Start button, press Left Left Right Right and then Start.
- Play style
- SINGLE, VERSUS, UNISON, DOUBLE: press the Start button while holding down the Left and Right buttons when the game start. A pop-up menu appears with the play style options.
- Dance characters
- AFRO & LADY, KONSENTO:01 & OSHARE-ZUKIN, DISC-A & DISC-B, DREAD-SNAKE & JANET: during the dance character selection, press the ↓ on the foot panel to reveal the alternative character duo.
- Dance Level
- BASIC: During SELECT MUSIC, press ↑↑ on the foot panel to change the difficulty to BASIC.
- ANOTHER: During SELECT MUSIC, press ↓↓ on the foot panels.
All of these must be entered on the SELECT MUSIC screen.
- TURN (inputting the same code twice will turn it OFF, and only one TURN modifier can be active)
- MIRROR: input ← → ← → ← → ← → using the foot panels.
- RIGHT: input → → → → → → → → using the foot panels. Not available in DOUBLE.
- LEFT: input ← ← ← ← ← ← ← ← using the foot panels. Not available in DOUBLE.
- SHUFFLE: input ↑ ↓ ← → ↓ ↑ → ← using the foot panels. Not available in DOUBLE.
- NORMAL, HIDDEN, SUDDEN, STEALTH: switch between the options (NORMAL → HIDDEN → SUDDEN → STEALTH → NORMAL) by pressing on the foot panels ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓ to go from one setting to the other.
- Arrows notation (inputting the LITTLE code twice will turn it OFF, and only either FLAT/VIVID can be active)
- LITTLE: input ← ↓ → ↓ ← on the foot panels.
- FLAT: input ← ← ← → → → on the foot panels. Non-SSR difficulty only.
- VIVID: input ← → ← ← → → ← → on the foot panels. Recommended to input ↓↓ before doing this. SSR difficulty only.
- Read PAINT EDIT data: when "リンクを開始します" is displayed on the screen to read the memory card, hold down the Left and Right Selection buttons.
- Use PAINT EDIT data: press the Left or Right Selection buttons during play.
- Access KONAMI EDIT DATA (with flashing squares) or EDIT DATA from Memory Card: hold START button after selecting a song.
- Display lyrics: press the Start button during play.
- This section was adapted from Aaron in Japan.
The scoring system for the 3rdMIX was changed from the one used in DanceDanceRevolution to DanceDanceRevolution 2ndMIX. One of the main changes are that the score is not determined by large combos anymore and that the maximum possible score for one song is 10,000,000. This scoring system was used in 3rdMIX releases only. This include 3rdMIX PLUS, the two Korean versions, and DanceDanceRevolution USA (as it was based on 3rdMIX).
- Dancer Score
In order to calculate the Dancer Score, the Base Step Score is required:
- Base Step Score = int(1000000 ÷ (N × (N + 1) ÷ 2))
- N is the number of notes in the song.
The Dancer Score includes 4 formulas, the first 3 are related to the timing:
- Dancer Perfects: Base Step Score × 10 × Number of Perfects
- Dancer Greats: Base Step Score × 5 × Number of Greats
- Dancer Goods or worst: Base Step Score × 0 × Number of Goods/Worst
If the life bar becomes depleted, but the song continue to play (due to Versus mode or Autofail set to off), the Base Step Score is replaced by 1.
The final formula for the dancer score is a bonus for the final note of the song:
- Final Step Bonus = 10 × [1000000 - int[1000000 ÷ (N × (N+1) ÷ 2)] × (N × (N+1) ÷ 2)]
This formula will gives its full bonus value if the step was a Perfect, half of it for a Great and 0 for a Good or worst.
The Grade is calculated with a different formula using Dance Points. Each note in the song has a value of two Dance Points assigned to it. When adding them all up, the result is the maximum number of possible "Dance Points" for the song. This equal to 2 × N. N still being the number of notes in the song.
The grade is then found by adding all the Dance Points calculated as follows:
- A Perfect is worth +2 Dance Points
- A Great is worth +1 Dance Points
- A Good is worth 0 Dance Points
- A Boo will subtract (-) 4 Dance Points
- A Miss will subtract (-) 5 points
The grade letter is then matched with the closest corresponding value:
- SSS: All Perfect
- SS: At least 80% Perfect and the rest Great
- S: Less than 80% Perfect and the rest Great
- A: At least 80% of maximum Dance Points
- B: At least 64% of maximum Dance Points
- C: At least 50% of maximum Dance Points
- D: Less than 50% of maximum Dance Points
- E: Failed
A grade of SSS through S override any other grade. For a score with less than 80% of the maximum Dance Points, but with a Full Combo, the S grade overrides the B. Likewise, for a score with no Full Combo, the highest grade possible is an A.
The following song from previous DanceDanceRevolution titles has been removed:
|PARANOiA MAX～DIRTY MIX～ (in roulette)||190||DanceDanceRevolution 2ndMIX|
- DanceDanceRevolution 3rdMIX official site (archived)