Waltz dai 17 ban totanchou "Ooinu no waltz"
Composition/Arrangement: Virkato Wakhmaninov
BPM: Varies (see Trivia)
Length: 2:10 (game), 2:18 (OST)
VJ: alo (overlays by NAGI)
First Music Game Appearance: beatmania IIDX 17 SIRIUS
Other Music Game Appearances: None.
Song Connections / Remixes
- ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" is related to ピアノ協奏曲第1番"蠍火", from beatmania IIDX 11 IIDX RED.
- Like many other Jun Wakita songs, every difficulty of ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" sounds different.
- The beatmania IIDX 17 SIRIUS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK has an extended version of ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ", which is a combination of the HYPER and ANOTHER versions.
- A re-arranged long version of ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" appears on wac's album, 音楽.
- ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" is the secret EXTRA STAGE song for the PARALLEL ROTATION IIDX RED folder in beatmania IIDX 17 SIRIUS.
- ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" has different BPMs for each difficulty:
- NORMAL: 190-290.
- HYPER: 220-310.
- Single ANOTHER: 230-320.
- Double ANOTHER: 220-350.
- This is further referenced in the Song Production Information: "The song is remarkable in that a beginner, intermediate, or advanced musician would be able to play, albeit with different timings for each.".
- ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" has the most notes of any non-LEGGENDARIA Double ANOTHER chart, with 2290 notes.
- ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" is one of only two beatmania IIDX songs done entirely on piano, the other being avant-guerre.
- It is also one of the few beatmania IIDX songs that does not use the turntable.
- ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" translates to "Waltz No. 17 in G minor, "Waltz of the big dog"".
- When ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" is played on beatmania IIDX, the arcade LED ticker displays the title as "VALSE DU GRANDE CHIEN".
- In keeping with wac's astronomy/star motif, ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" refers to Canis Major, the constellation that the binary star system Sirius resides in.
- On the American iTunes page for the 音楽 album, ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" was renamed to Waltz in G Minor No.17 "Valse du grand chien".
- ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" was available in beatmania IIDX INFINITAS' championship Mode from August 10th to 21st, 2016
- On August 22nd, 2016, it was added to standard Mode for anyone who had played the PREMIUM∞CUP in championship Mode at least once.
- ワルツ第17番 ト短調"大犬のワルツ" was one of the qualifying round songs in the The 6th KONAMI Arcade Championship for beatmania IIDX 24 SINOBUZ.
Song Production Information
The Waltz of the Big Dog (Valse du Grande Chien) was a waltz composed for a solo pianist by Virkato Wakhmaninov (1873-1974). (1)
virkato had a large dog, and from time to time would chase his own tail.
The spinning of the dog, going round and round and round at such a high speed, is said to have inspired him to make this song. (2)
Of the 17 waltzes that had supposedly been written by virkato, this is the only known one that he had released.
The other 16 waltzes that he made were never released, and in his will, he stipulated that they should not be released. (3)
There are several theories of why he never released the music. The most prominent theory states that he was bitter about the criticism and taunts about his music and as a way of revenge, he would never release his other waltzes. (4)
This theory has been heavily criticized, however.
Originally, according to a friend of virkato, this song was supposed to be of a longer length, in order to be more entertaining.
Around the same time however, he decided to incorporate the better parts of the song, and shortened the song to around 2 minutes, "in order to keep the attention of the audience."
He continued to work on this song, putting lots of effort into it.
The song is remarkable in that a beginner, intermediate, or advanced musician would be able to play, albeit with different timings for each. (5)
When this song was distributed, the song was kept under 2 minutes, with the accompanying adjustments to tempo added.
Some questioned the tempo of the song, saying that with the high BPM of the melody, the song was not a waltz, but rather a scherzo. (6)
When this was pointed out to virkato, he stated "It is a waltz! I do not care if it is an original waltz, OK!"
His emotion in making that statement, along with the tears in his eyes, asserted his intention.
(Clarification: Watanabe (nee: Kobayashi) Kenji)
- It has been rumored that the original song sheet length was 57 meters long and weighed 550 tons. This rumor is considered to be a myth, however.
- virkato stated that he was inspired by his dog, but his wife says that he was inspired by her making pancakes with butter. She stated one day, "You know, if I could add butter to this, it would mix better!". This, however, has been dismissed as a lie.
- It was also stipulated in his will that the contents of the HDD of his computer be erased at the same time at the time of his death, so that no one would be able to research his songs.
- A theory has been raised, saying the title of the song should be "Waltz in G minor, 'Waltz of the pack'". However, arguments against this state that it would go against Virkato's style and that he may have been bluffing.
- This is unusual. At the time he released the song, this may have been considered normal, but it may have been if the song was released in its longer form.
- virkato was reportedly not happy with the reviews saying the song was too fast. "If they cannot dance to it, then they can't dance at all!". Apparently, he got a few of his friends together to dance to this song. The later song, She is my wife, may relate to this.
Video Production Information
This waltz sounded to me like a violent tantrum.
It gave me an image of my older sister! The thing is, my sister loves big dogs.
Is it weird that I would notice this?
Difficulty & Notecounts
beatmania IIDX difficulty rated from 1 to 12. (Ratings and notecounts obtained from BEMANIWiki 2nd.)
|Game||SP Difficulty||DP Difficulty|
|beatmania IIDX 17 SIRIUS→Present||-||6||10||12||-||6||10||12||-|
|beatmania IIDX INFINITAS||-||6||10||12||-||6||10||12||-|
|IIDX RED|| eRAseRmOToRpHAntOM - spiral galaxy -L.E.D. STYLE SPREADING PARTICLE BEAM MIX-|
水上の提督 (Short mix from ”幻想水滸伝V”)
|HAPPY SKY|| DAWN -THE NEXT ENDEAVOUR- - SPARK ! -essential RMX- - サヨナラ・ヘヴン|
|DistorteD|| CaptivAte～裁き～(SUBLIME TECHNO MIX) - quell～the seventh slave～ - SOLID STATE SQUAD|
|GOLD|| DENJIN AKATSUKINI TAORERU -SF PureAnalogSynth Mix- - GOLDEN CROSS - The Story Begins|
|DJ TROOPERS|| Dazzlin' Darlin-秋葉工房mix- - BEAUTIFUL ANGEL - THE LAST STRIKER|
|ONE MORE EXTRA STAGE||Almagest|