What is Love?
What is Love?
Composition/Arrangement: Tomosuke Funaki
Genre: HOUSE (ハウス)
pop'n music Character: Dia [3-2P]
pop'n music Background: In a Grow (pop'n music 5)
First Music Game Appearance: beatmania 7thMIX -keepin' evolution-
Other Music Game Appearances:
Song Connections / Remixes
- What is Love? was added to pop'n music 9 on March 19th, 2003 via ee'MALL.
- Before pop'n music 14 FEVER!, What is Love?'s songwheel genre was What is Love?.
- Currently, What is Love? is the only ee'MALL song with the genre HOUSE that hasn't been removed from the arcade releases of pop'n music.
- What is Love? and INFINITE PRAYER -floating flock style- are the only DLC songs from DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX that don't appear in Dancing Stage Unleashed.
- What is Love? received new Single DIFFICULT and EXPERT charts in DDR FESTIVAL -DanceDanceRevolution-, replacing its old ones (however, these charts are only used in DDR FESTIVAL).
- A still of What is Love?'s beatmania 7thMIX animations is used in DanceDanceRevolution for its background.
- What is Love? received BEGINNER charts in DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX2.
- What is Love? is unlockable via DanceDanceRevolution UNIVERSE2's Quest Mode, by completing a Session Offer in Recon, Ruby.
- Also, What is Love? received new graphics and was capitalized as What Is Love? in UNIVERSE2.
Song Production Information
The '70s jazz scene saw lots of music that actively approached the funk and rock sides while freely using electric instruments.
Such sounds were often seen on specific series of records from prominent labels such as Blue Note and Riverside.
In the latter half of the '80s, these records were reevaluated and dubbed "rare groove," becoming the genesis of Acid Jazz.
This song aims for a "jazz in the house" sound, named after the large mid-'90s movement that fused the good-old rare groove, mentioned earlier, with house music.
The song takes lessons from the classics to unfold new sounds with vintage electric instruments (including the Fender Rhodes).
Video Production Information
I thought "Wow, what an adult-sounding track!" and before I knew it, I came up with these visuals.
The whirlpool animations are great, aren't they?
(I'd expect no less from you, MZD FIRE-FLY!!)
I like the chic, adult flavor to this song. I think it's great!
Difficulty & Notecounts
beatmania difficulty rated from 1 to 9.
DanceDanceRevolution difficulty rated from 1 to 10 from DDRMAX2 to SuperNOVA2.
pop'n music difficulty rated from 1 to 43 through pop'n music 20 fantasia, and 1 to 50 from Sunny Park onwards. (Ratings and notecounts obtained from KANI KANI CRAB, Pop'n Music Fever and BEMANIWiki 2nd.)
|Game||SP Difficulty||DP Difficulty|
|beatmania 7thMIX→THE FINAL||3||4||5||2||4||4|
|beatmania III APPEND 7thMIX→THE FINAL||3||4||5||3||4||5|
|Notecounts / Freeze Arrows / Shock Arrows||83 / 0||127 / 14||171 / 6||229 / 9||- / - / -||127 / 6||167 / 6||227 / 5||- / - / -|
|DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX DLC||-||3||5||6||-||3||5||7||-|
|DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX2 DLC||N/A||3||5||6||-||3||5||7||-|
|DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX3 DLC||N/A||3||5||6||-||3||5||7||-|
|DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX4 DLC||N/A||3||5||6||-||3||5||7||-|
|DanceDanceRevolution / Dancing Stage UNIVERSE2||N/A||3||5||6||-||3||5||7||-|
|Notecounts / Freeze Arrows / Shock Arrows||85 / 0||127 / 14||225 / 13||274 / 4||- / - / -||127 / 6||167 / 6||227 / 5||- / - / -|
⁑ Denotes chart is unused and cannot be accessed through normal gameplay.
|pop'n music 9→13 カーニバル (via ee'MALL)||9||12||23||-||11||14|
|pop'n music 14 FEVER!→20 fantasia||9||12||23||-||11||14|
|pop'n music Sunny Park→Present||-||18||29||-||11||14|
|pop'n music 14 FEVER! CS||9||12||23||-||11||14|