Takayuki Ishikawa Interviews
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Takayuki Ishikawa Interviews
The following interview/artist profile was included in the DDRMAX -DanceDanceRevolution- instruction booklet released in 2002.
- Name: Takayuki Ishikawa
- Artist name(s): dj TAKA
- Age: 27 years old
- Time at Konami: 3 years
- First Konami Project: Beatmania IIDX
- Favorite Instrument: Piano
- Favorite Music style: Trance
- Favorite Music producer or artist: I would say Satoshi Tomiie for now.
- Most favorite Bemani song they have ever written: ABSOLUTE.
- Songs created in DDRMAX: Gradiusic Cyber AMD G5 Mix, Abyss, Logical Dash.
- Favorite song(s) in DDRMAX and why?: MAX 300. I think this is a new music sound which only could have been created through DDR.
- What do you think about the success of DDR in North America so far?: I think it clearly demonstrates the achievement of NAOKI who is the music producer.
- How did you first get involved making Bemani music?: When the dj simulation video game Beatmania was at its highest peak, Konami brought me in as a specialist of crazy styles of music.
- Did you always like Bemani-style music or did you like those dance styles after you started making songs?: I have always liked this music, but ever since I got involved with the Bemani project, I have enjoyed the music so much more.
- What else do you still want to accomplish as an artist wth DDR/Bemani songs that you have not done so far?: I have accomplished all sorts of things, however, I am sure there are many things left to attempt. I would like to meet the requests of fans and I look forward to that opportunity.
- Have you ever considered using famous artists or a dj to make a new remix or one of your songs for a future Bemani game? Who would you like to have remix the song?: Oh definitely! I would like to work with Satoshi Tomiie.
- Have you ever thought about making dance music for official release (I.E. for DJs and consumer use)?: If there was an opportunity, I would love to do that.
- What kind of hardware and mixing software do you use to compose yours songs?: I use Logic and PRO TOOLS.
- What was the most difficult/challenging situation that you have experienced working on Bemani/DDR games?: If the music style and BPM is mild for the dance floor, then the player will get bored when they play the song in the game. However, if the music style and BPM is quick and drastic, then the song will begin to lose the dance music characteristics. Finding the right balance is difficult.
- Can you briefly describe the initial process/steps of how you determine the direction for a new song?: I just make the music however I feel like at the moment.
- When you are making a song, do you ever think about what some of the steps might be like or do you already know from the beginning that this song is going to be designed to be a difficult song for players, etc?: Sometimes I think about it, it really depends upon the track.
- Do you feel limited as an artist because of the game design and mechanics of DDR?: Just because there are limitations does not mean you cannot overcome them. That's the way I see it.
- From your artist name, are you actually a DJ? If Yes, what do you spin and has that knowledge helped you in creating DDR/Bemani songs?: Although I play and occasionally perform, it is not my profession. The "dj" part of my artist name is named after my respect to the people who supported me and to the great game Beatmania which game me a chance to express my musical tastes.
- Do you have any comments or words to players?: All of my songs in this game were written several years ago and some of the music styles are not really up to date. However, while you listen to these tracks and start to have some interests in them. I would really like you to listen to my recent tracks as well.