Artist: dj TAKA
Composition/Arrangement: Takayuki Ishikawa
Length: 1:58 (beatmania IIDX), 1:44 (DanceDanceRevolution)
Movie: VJ YUZ
First Music Game Appearance: beatmania IIDX 5th style
Other Music Game Appearances:
Song Connections / Remixes
- A remix of Abyss by Ryu☆, titled Abyss -The Heavens Remix-, appears in beatmania IIDX 9th style.
- Another remix of Abyss by borzy, titled Abyss (sharp stepp remix), appears in SOUND VOLTEX BOOTH.
- The DanceDanceRevolution series uses a shorter version of Abyss, cutting eight measures from the middle of the song.
- This song has different backgrounds, banners, jackets, or other related images. For more information, please see this page.
- According to the DanceDanceRevolution staff, the creatures in Abyss' graphics are from a gentle seabed tribe, and they're named Taro (left) and Hanako (right).
- Abyss is a hidden revival in DDRMAX2 -DanceDanceRevolution 7thMIX-. It can be unlocked by reaching level 5, or using an operator code to unlock it via 1st PASS.
- From DanceDanceRevolution EXTREME onwards, it is playable by default.
- Abyss received a Single BEGINNER chart in DanceDanceRevolution EXTREME.
- Abyss received a new banner in DDR FESTIVAL -DanceDanceRevolution-, which was carried over to arcade releases in DanceDanceRevolution SuperNOVA.
- In DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX / Dancing Stage Unleashed and their sequels, Abyss' artist is credited to dj.TAKA, matching the artist display seen in the song's pre-DDR FESTIVAL banner.
- Abyss can be unlocked from July 6th, 2016, on beatmania IIDX INFINITAS' Akashic Explore event.
Song Production Information
I replaced the sampler which was mainly responsible for my track production during the development of 5th, so Abyss is the final song I created using it during the past two years.
Appropriately for this final song, many sounds were created with this sampler, from the rhythm parts to the human voices, piano, and strings. Although I didn't have many samples or memory, my technique involved choosing to arrange one part, and quickly convert them to waveforms.
CS Information Data
You have unlocked the song "Abyss" by dj. TAKA. This song will take you on a journey through atmospheric melodies and driving house beats.
Video Production Information
And that clip honestly shows the image of this song without walking alone!
I thought about various things while creating this video, so it was very difficult.
I even listened to Abyss while sleeping in order to expand its image..
This comment contains spoilers about the movie with the same title, so to those interested in that movie, please don't read it!!
I consciously drew these underwater aliens from the movie with the same title.
It feels like that title certainly meant endless hell, abyss, or outer space, but I didn't want to just draw that, so I tried to include aliens.
Difficulty & Notecounts
beatmania IIDX difficulty rated 1 to 7+ from 5th through 9th style, 1 to 8 in 10th style, 1 to 8+ in IIDX RED, and from 1 to 12 from HAPPY SKY onwards.
DanceDanceRevolution difficulty from 2ndMIX CLUB VER. through 5thMIX (and the Solo games) rated from 1 to 9, 1 to 10 from DDRMAX2 to SuperNOVA2, and 1 to 20 from X onwards. (Ratings and notecounts obtained from BEMANIWiki 2nd.)
|Game||SP Difficulty||DP Difficulty|
|beatmania IIDX 5th style→11 IIDX RED||-||5||6||N/A||-||6||7||N/A||-|
|beatmania IIDX 12 HAPPY SKY||-||5||↑7||8||-||6||↑8||9||-|
|beatmania IIDX 13 DistorteD→Present||-||5||7||8||-||↑7||8||9||-|
|beatmania IIDX 5th style CS||3||5||6||6||-||6||7||7||-|
|beatmania IIDX 7th style CS||3||5||6||6||-||6||7||7||-|
|beatmania IIDX 16 EMPRESS + PREMIUM BEST||3||5||7||8||-||7||8||9||-|
|beatmania IIDX INFINITAS||-||5||7||8||-||7||8||9||-|
|beatmania IIDX ULTIMATE MOBILE||-||5||7||8||-||-||-||-||-|
|Notecounts / Freeze Arrows / Shock Arrows||117 / 0||168 / 0||234 / 0||309 / 0||- / - / -||171 / 0||233 / 0||309 / 0||- / - / -|
|DanceDanceRevolution 5thMIX CS||-||2||5||7||-||3||5||7||-|
|DDRMAX CS NA||-||2||5||7||-||3||5||7||-|
|DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX / Dancing Stage Unleashed DLC||-||2||5||7||-||3||5||7||-|
|DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX2 / Dancing Stage Unleashed2 DLC||⁂N/A||2||5||7||-||3||5||7||-|
|DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX3 / Dancing Stage Unleashed3 DLC||⁂N/A||2||5||7||-||3||5||7||-|
|DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX4 DLC||⁂N/A||2||5||7||-||3||5||7||-|
⁂ Denotes that no proper chart data actually exists.