Genre: BIG BEAT
Movie: MORO (beatmania), VJ GYO (beatmania IIDX)
First Music Game Appearance: beatmania IIDX
Other Music Game Appearances:
Song Connections / Remixes
- GAMBOL's Double charts sound different from its Single charts.
- A remix of GAMBOL by D.F.K. Soundsystem, titled GAMBOL (dfk SLC rmx), can be found in SOUND VOLTEX BOOTH.
- This song has different backgrounds, banners, jackets, or other related images. For more information, please see this page.
- Both GAMBOL and 22DUNK mark Takehiko Fujii's debut in BEMANI.
- Both songs being crossed over also mark his first appearance in the DanceDanceRevolution series.
- GAMBOL received LIGHT charts in beatmania IIDX 3rd style CS. These charts were never included in the arcade releases.
- It received new NORMAL charts again in beatmania IIDX 12 HAPPY SKY.
- GAMBOL is notorious for having an extremely small timing window, leading many players to score horribly on it. It was never fixed until the release of beatmania IIDX 12 HAPPY SKY, in which the song has regular timing windows on NORMAL and the usual tiny ones on HYPER. In beatmania IIDX 19 Lincle, an engine change made the timing on the HYPER chart easier.
- In beatmania IIDX 11 IIDX RED CS, GAMBOL was given ANOTHER charts, identical to the NORMAL and HYPER charts, but rated at Level 8+. The reason for this is because its timing windows are set so that it is nearly impossible to get anything other than a JUST GREAT or a BAD on the song.
- To unlock GAMBOL's ANOTHER charts in beatmania IIDX 11 IIDX RED CS, clear the SLAKE EXPERT course on ANOTHER difficulty.
- The timing pattern for the HYPER/ANOTHER charts were later added as a secret for beatmania IIDX 15 DJ TROOPERS CS. To use them, a player must press SELECT over songs whose names start with G,J,H for the HYPER timing (GAMBOL Judge HYPER) or G,J,A for the ANOTHER timing (GAMBOL Judge ANOTHER).
- GAMBOL's ANOTHER charts are exclusive to beatmania IIDX 11 IIDX RED CS, and have never appeared in an arcade beatmania IIDX title, nor were revived in beatmania IIDX 16 EMPRESS + PREMIUM BEST.
- The timing of GAMBOL, as well as its addition into other styles, can be seen as an inside joke.
- The word "gambol" is both a verb and a noun. It means to skip around as if dancing or playing. It can also mean to frolic. Look it up here.
- GAMBOL's charts were re-rated in beatmania IIDX INFINITAS (2020) on April 20th, 2022.
Song Production Information
GAMBOL, which was in the first IIDX, makes an unexpected return.
I chose GAMBOL as the song's name because the bass felt like rubber (gum) and the rhythms bounced like a ball.
It feels like that was such a long time ago.
This is SLAKE's first time participating as a full-time beatmania staff member.
SLAKE is a DJ that mainly produces drum'n'bass tracks, and will be active in beatmania's "deep & spiritual" division as a trackmaker and producer.
I wasn't expecting him to come through with a big beat/digi-rock track, and I hurriedly asked for production. The special movie helps the song give off a darker sense compared to the other songs at beatmania's core.
Aggressive distorted guitar sounds over deep, fat drum sounds and a resonant bass.
The fat and chemical sound has become a worldwide phenomenon, especially in the UK, and the fact that it was immediately included in the beatmania series is a testament to its staff, who are always on the cutting edge of the times.
CS Information Data
You have unlocked the song "GAMBOL" by SLAKE. Based on the big beat sound that blazed the electronic music scene in the late 90's, "GAMBOL" blends crashing electric beats with rockin' guitar riffs.
Video Production Information
The plan to make up a cop drama featuring the developers and use it as a music clip was proposed by MiZKiNG at the first meeting, but the actual production proved to be quite a challenge.
The cast was all beatmania IIDX developers, each specializing in a different field and busy at different times. Even though the movie was less than 2 minutes long, it was very difficult for one person to handle various roles such as director, assistant director, script, storyboard, camera, lighting, casting, promotion, design, recording, location scouting... what else? It was a lot of work for one person to handle all these different roles. And all but one of the actors were my seniors and supervisors...
However, once the shooting started, everyone involved got into the groove and it was over in no time at all.
It was a great learning experience in many aspects, and the longest and most memorable "sports-oriented" movie I have ever made.
Difficulty & Notecounts
beatmania difficulty rated from 1 to 9.
beatmania IIDX to 10th style difficulty rated from 1 to 5 in 1st and substream, 1 to 7 in 2nd style, 1 to 7+ in 9th style, 1 to 8 in 10th style, 1 to 8+ in IIDX RED, and 1 to 12 from HAPPY SKY onwards.
DanceDanceRevolution difficulty from 2ndMIX CLUB VER. through 5thMIX (and the Solo games) rated from 1 to 9, 1 to 10 from DDRMAX2 to SuperNOVA2. (Ratings and notecounts obtained from KANI KANI CRAB.)
|Game||SP Difficulty||DP Difficulty|
|beatmania THE FINAL||1||2||-||1||1||-|
|beatmania III THE FINAL||1||2||-||1||1||-|
|Game||SP Difficulty||DP Difficulty|
|beatmania IIDX 2nd style||-||-||↓1||-||-||-||↓1||-||-|
|beatmania IIDX 9th style||-||-||1||-||-||-||1||-||-|
|beatmania IIDX 10th style||-||-||↑2||-||-||-||↑2||-||-|
|beatmania IIDX 11 IIDX RED||-||-||↓1||-||-||-||↓1||-||-|
|beatmania IIDX 12 HAPPY SKY→26 Rootage||-||1||1||-||-||1||1||-||-|
|beatmania IIDX 27 HEROIC VERSE→Present||-||↑2||↑2||-||-||↑2||↑2||-||-|
|beatmania IIDX 3rd style CS||-||※1||2||-||-||※1||2||-||-|
|beatmania IIDX 11 IIDX RED CS||1||1||1||8+||-||1||1||8+||-|
|beatmania IIDX 16 EMPRESS + PREMIUM BEST||1||1||1||-||-||1||1||-||-|
|beatmania IIDX INFINITAS/(2020) (launch-4/19/22)||-||1||1||-||-||1||1||-||-|
|beatmania IIDX INFINITAS (2020) (4/20/22-present)||-||2||2||-||-||2||2||-||-|
|beatmania IIDX ULTIMATE MOBILE||-||2||2||-||-||-||-||-||-|
※ Denotes that these charts are different from the later NORMAL charts:
- Single LIGHT chart: total notes: 135.
- Double LIGHT chart: total notes: 137.
|Notecounts / Freeze Arrows / Shock Arrows||- / -||71 / 0||118 / 0||151 / 0||- / - / -||123 / 0||138 / 0||138 / 0||- / - / -|
|DanceDanceRevolution 2ndMIX CLUB VERSiON 2||-||1||5||8||-||4||7||-||-|
|DanceDanceRevolution 2ndMIX APPEND CLUB VERSiON vol.1||-||1||5||8||-||4||7||-||-|
|DanceDanceRevolution CLUB VERSiON (DC)||-||1||5||8||-||4||7||-||-|
|DDRMAX CS NA||-||1||5||8||-||4||7||7||-|