Artist: Love machineguns
Composition/Arrangement: Toshio Sakurai, Hideyuki Ono, Yuei Uematsu
Lyrics/Vocals: Thomas Howard Lichtenstein
Trumpet: Hideyuki Ono
Trombone/All Saxophones: Jimmy Weckl
Guitars/Bass/Drum Programming: Toshio Sakurai
Recording Engineer: Akira Goshima
Genre: SKA PUNK
First Music Game Appearance: drummania 2ndMIX
Other Music Game Appearances:
- DanceDanceRevolution SuperNOVA
- DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX2
- GITADORA OverDrive
- GUITARFREAKS 3rdMIX
In the barrio you gotta learn how to survive Cause you never know When it's your turn to take a dive So you go through each day With your eyes in the back of your head You never know if you'll be alive or be dead That is why always have it You carry a midnight special Never leave home without it Always better with a midnight special In the dark on the street Never know who you're gonna meet No problem you got a midnight special
In the barrio you gotta learn how to survive Cause you never know when it's your turn to take a dive ★ So you go through each day With your eyes in the back of your head You never know if you'll be alive or be dead ★ LITTLE JOHNNY SMITH, they nearly laid that boy to rest But he's still alive - thank God, he must be heaven blessed But you know that somewhere There's a bullet that says your name You can't avoid the danger it's part of this game ☆ That is why always have it You carry a midnight special Never leave home without it Always better with a midnight special In the dark on the street Never know who you're gonna meet No problem you got a midnight special ☆ ★・・・・★ repeat ☆・・・・☆ repeat
Song Connections / Remixes
- A long version of MIDNIGHT SPECIAL can be found on the GUITARFREAKS 3rdMIX & drummania 2ndMIX soundtracks album.
- An acoustic version of MIDNIGHT SPECIAL appears as a bonus track on the GUITARFREAKS 3rdMIX & drummania 2ndMIX soundtracks album.
- This song has different backgrounds, banners, jackets, or other related images. For more information, please see this page.
- Despite that MIDNIGHT SPECIAL's BPM is shown as 182, it actually ranges from 182 to 187 BPM.
- Prior to GuitarFreaks V & DrumMania V, MIDNIGHT SPECIAL's BPM was not displayed.
- In DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX2, Dancing Stage Unleashed2, and DanceDanceRevolution STR!KE, MIDNIGHT SPECIAL's title and artist were capitalized as Midnight Special and Love Machineguns respectively.
- Midnight Special can be unlocked in DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX2 by playing any 20 songs.
- Midnight Special can be automatically unlocked in DanceDanceRevolution STR!KE if you have save data of GuitarFreaks V & DrumMania V CS on your memory card.
- MIDNIGHT SPECIAL received a proper Single BEGINNER chart and a unique, different video in DanceDanceRevolution STR!KE, based on DYNAMITE RAVE's unique video. Both were later carried over to DanceDanceRevolution SuperNOVA. Its video eliminates all on-screen dancers.
- MIDNIGHT SPECIAL being crossed over marks it as the first and only musical appearances of both Toshio Sakurai and Yuei Uematsu on an arcade release of DanceDanceRevolution.
- MIDNIGHT SPECIAL is one of the unlockable songs of the ULTIMATE FESTIVAL!! ULTIMATE GATE event of GITADORA OverDrive.
- As of GITADORA Tri-Boost, it is available by default.
- MIDNIGHT SPECIAL received a new jacket in GITADORA OverDrive.
- MIDNIGHT SPECIAL is available in コナステ GITADORA as part of the コナステ GITADORA HISTORYパック vol.2.
Song Production Information
Sakurai: I went to Tower Records after finishing my work in DM1st, and heard a ska punk song playing. It sounded interesting from a game standpoint, so I wondered if I could do something like that next time. "P.P.R." and this song were written together with Ono, and it's faster when we write together because I don't get lost (laughs).
Ono: Yes, yes, it's fast and fun! (Laughs). When we make songs together, we both grab a guitar and play "1, 2, 3, 4". The most important aspect of DM and GF is the "band groove". The songwriting process became into a private live performance (laughs). That's a very common thing.
Sakurai: That's right (laughs). The intro and the final "bababababa-" are melodies written by our youngest member, Yuei. Right!
Video Production Information
Difficulty & Notecounts
DanceDanceRevolution difficulty rated from 1 to 10 from DDRMAX2 to SuperNOVA2. and 1 to 20 from X onwards.
Difficulty for early GF/DM games rated from 1 to 10 stars. GF/DM difficulty for GF5/dm4 and beyond rated from 1 to 99.
GF/DM XG and GITADORA difficulty rated from 0.00 to 9.99. (Ratings and notecounts obtained from BEMANIWiki 2nd and GITADORA Rating Sources.)
|Notecounts / Freeze Arrows / Shock Arrows||101 / 12||144 / 21||236 / 11||267 / 14||- / - / -||190 / 3||244 / 11||274 / 8||- / - / -|
|DanceDanceRevolution ULTRAMIX2 / Dancing Stage Unleashed2||⁂N/A||4||5||7||-||6||7||8||-|
|DanceDanceRevolution / Dancing Stage SuperNOVA NA/EU CS||2||4||5||7||-||6||7||8||-|
⁂ Denotes that no proper chart data actually exists.
GuitarFreaks & DrumMania
|GF8/dm7 power-up ver.→GF/DM V2||21||48||74||↓16||↓19||↓32||27||36||-||-||-||-|
|GF/DM V3 CS||21||48||68||16||19||32||27||36||-||-||-||-|
XG & GITADORA Series
|GITADORA Tri-Boost Re:EVOLVE||↑3.15||↓5.00||↓6.50||-||↓3.10||↓4.80||↓6.20||-||↓2.75||↓4.65||↓6.00||-|