Composition/Arrangement: Jun Wakita
Movie: VJ GYO
First Music Game Appearance: beatmania IIDX 5th style
Other Music Game Appearances: None.
Song Connections / Remixes
- Regulus is an instrumental version of OVER THE CLOUDS, also from beatmania IIDX 5th style.
- Regulus is part of wac's Zodiac series of songs, representing Leo.
- Regulus is one of the beatmania IIDX 5th style hidden songs. To unlock it, you must get at least 192,939 points (without bonus) on a song. Regulus will appear on the next stage.
- Regulus is the brightest star in the constellation Leo and one of the brightest stars in the night sky, lying approximately 79 light years from Earth.
- Similar to patsenner and several beatmania IIDX 2nd style songs, Regulus was not released on its corresponding game's original soundtrack. It was instead included on the History of beatmania IIDX album, released almost a year after the beatmania IIDX 5th style Original Soundtracks CD came out.
- According to Jun Wakita, he only planned to write charts for beatmania IIDX 5th style, but dj TAKA asked him to create a new song for the game .
- Unlike OVER THE CLOUDS, Regulus was not removed in beatmania IIDX 16 EMPRESS.
- Regulus is unlockable in beatmania IIDX INFINITAS from November 6th, 2019, after purchasing its charts with BITs.
Song Production Information
"The staircase and me"
My grandfather was an art teacher in Hokkaido.
He passed away in March, right before I graduated from high school.
There was still deep snow in Hokkaido.
As my grandfather was receiving medical treatment at home, he used all his remaining strength to get up from his sickbed and finish his final artwork.
It depicted a large snow staircase in a garden.
It may have been the staircase to heaven, a sign he sensed his own death?
He was a devout Christian believer, who went to be with the Lord three days later.
Inheriting my grandfather's blood, I promised myself to someday create my own staircase to climb during my life.
There's a staircase in this song! It's not from the above story.
Then what was written above? Hmm, it's a nice story.
As a keyboard player, I like staircase notecharts, so here it is.
I like to finger stroke them because it feels like a musical performance.
If it's a staircase notechart, I can compete with the best players in the world! When I enthusiastically went to the arcade to watch them play, they used the RANDOM modifier, which devastated me.
To be honest, i's a strange song made early in development, as the vocals were not recorded in time for the location test, so I "included" the instrumental version in the location test, and it was "retained as a bonus song", but there are people who say it's their favorite, which I find bittersweet.
As a side note, the title Regulus isn't related to the composer's Zodiac sign or baseball. Probably.
Forgive me for the long message. Did I beat VJ GYO?
Video Production Information
By the way, what does DJ stand for?
It's generally abbreviated from Disk Jockey, isn't it?
They are active in places such as radio stations, clubs, and discos, but they commonly read the atmosphere of the place and "select and play" music to lead the audience in their intended direction.
However, in the case of W, he has completely different intentions.
It's disappointing that I can't freely write about it because of his wish (he clearly disproves of expressing this), but it shouldn't mean anything bad.
I remember that all the IIDX staff members were impressed by the song's high quality and potential to be a hit, that they shouted in unison.
It's said that "Regulus (OVER THE CLOUD)" took the longest time to produce in IIDX history (he's a very busy person who has other main job).
When the IIDX staff(?) saw him as a wise and patient composer, they took the effort to buy ○○○... The gap between the two sides of W(?) is too wonderful. (laughs)
DJ's two sides and appearances are unique to their abbreviated names, and have a double meaning.
Difficulty & Notecounts
beatmania IIDX difficulty rated from 1 to 7+ from 5th through 9th style, 1 to 8 in 10th style, 1 to 8+ in 11 IIDX RED, and 1 to 12 from 12 HAPPY SKY onward.
|Game||SP Difficulty||DP Difficulty|
|beatmania IIDX 5th style||-||6||7||N/A||-||6||7+||N/A||-|
|beatmania IIDX 6th style→7th style||-||6||↑7+||N/A||-||6||7+||N/A||-|
|beatmania IIDX 9th style||-||6||7+||N/A||-||6||7+||N/A||-|
|beatmania IIDX 10th style→11 IIDX RED||-||6||8||N/A||-||6||8||N/A||-|
|beatmania IIDX 12 HAPPY SKY→Present||-||6||↑9||10||-||6||↑10||11||-|
|beatmania IIDX 5th style CS||3||6||7||7||-||6||7+||7+||-|
|beatmania IIDX 7th style CS||3||6||7+||7+||-||6||7+||7+||-|
|beatmania IIDX INFINITAS||-||6||9||10||-||6||10||11||-|
|beatmania IIDX ULTIMATE MOBILE||-||6||9||10||-||-||-||-||-|
|wac's Zodiac series of songs|
|ストレイ・マーチ (Aries) - BEEF (Taurus) - murmur twins (Gemini) - moon_child (Cancer) - Regulus (Leo) - Spica (Virgo) - アストライアの双皿 (Libra)|
ピアノ協奏曲第1番"蠍火" (Scorpius) - 牧神笛吹きて (Capricornus) - Ganymede (Aquarius) - アルレシャ (Pisces)